Home Forums General Weta Stuff Lifting Straps

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    jenfrench
    Participant

We are new WETA owners and will be launching the boat from a boat hoist. Does anyone have specifications, measurements or suggestions for a lifting strap for the boat?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      luigieee
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down
      ::

Here’s a pic if that helps.

Weta-Trimaran-lifted-by-crane

jenfrench
        Participant
        Up
        Down

Thank you for this information. The pic is very helpful. Do you happen to have measurements for the lifting straps?

Paul White
        Keymaster
        • City: Sydney
        • Weta Sail Number: 1300
        Up
        Down

Hi Jen

The dimensions (especially the length) will depend to some extent how high your crane can lift and how low it can go over the side.

The reason it that you’ll want to be able to hook onto the crane hook from the water (probably by standing in the centre of the boat) and then lift the boat over the side rails onto the trolley.

If the straps are too short you might find the load unstable and you might not be able to lower the boat to the water. If too long, you’ll may find it difficult to hook on afterwards and to clear the rail to get the boat on board or launch it.

Hope this helps

Paul #325 Sydney

luigieee
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

Hi Jen,

Ill ask our old Weta dealer Dave, he should know the exact dimensions!

Paul White
        Keymaster
        Up
        Down

Thanks Luis.

I knew I had seen a pic somewhere but I couldn’t find it at the time.

Paul

Paul White
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down

Hi Jen

I haven’t tried it but I have read that the best way it to tie webbing or rope around the front and rear float arms where they join the hull and then join them to form a loop which you then hoist from (I recommend using a Butterfly Knot to make loops in the middle of a rope).

Ensure that the lifting point is slightly towards the stern from the centre of gravity so that the bow is slightly down which keeps the mast and shrouds away from your crane – although you may want to add another line from the crane to the bow as this can tip forward if there’s any water in the hull or floats.

Hope this helps

Paul #325, Sydney

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.