Home Forums General Weta Stuff Fun Torbay Racing

• Creator
    Topic
    miranda21
    Participant

We had 5 Weta on Sunday at Torbay Sailing Club, Barry Brill, Alex Price, Philip Walsh, Gary and Helen and me. Everyone got out racing which was great to see, especially Philip who managed his first ever sail boat race.

We had a light northerly of 5 to 8 knots and a busy race course, with Opti’s, Starlings, Lasers, Jollys and Paper Tigers, who we started with and raced against.

The light winds made for some challenging downwinds, weighing up how far and fast to sail vs sailing more slowly but more directly to the mark. I sailed the first race on my own and had a great tussle with the Paper Tigers, managing to hold out Mark Orams, my old laser coach which was fun, Alex was not far behind having a tussle of his own with some PTs followed up by Barry, Philip and Gary and Helen.

The second race I got Helen as a super crew and I tried to explain about VMG, lifts and knocks, wetted surface and dirty air, which to her credit she understood and figured out! Barry Brill took out that race, Helen and I hunted down Alex and just got him at the finish with some great boat handling from Helen!

For the last race of the day Helen went back to Gary to impart her new knowledge and I was on my own against the Paper Tigers as the wind dropped to hover around 5 knots, the PT’s were slightly faster upwind and I was faster downwind. The lead PT got a jump on me after the first leg, but as the wind lightened off the Weta came into it’s own downwind, I just passed the lead PT on the final downwind leg, right at the mark to take out the overall race for team Weta!

All in all the racing at Torbay has been really fun so far and great to see everyone getting amongst it. Torbay is a really chilled out and friendly yacht club and very welcoming to new sailors which is perfect for us. Don’t forget to bring $10 for them if you want to race, or if you want to join you can find more information on their website – http://www.torbaysailingclub.org.nz

Hope to see everyone at Torbay on the 17th it should be a great warm up for WetaFest!

Miranda

Check out the report on the Weta Marine website
    http://www.wetamarine.com/about/news/579-nz-sailing-update

• This topic was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by miranda21.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.