Home Forums General Weta Stuff furling jib

• Creator
    Topic
    alistairking
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone out there has a furling jib and if so what do they think of it? I am considering getting one as a useful way of depowering when out with the kids if things get a bit hairy. I have seen the conversations on the Yahoo forum but thought I would ask some locals their opinion too.  If I get no response I’ll probably still get one anyway, so feel free to get in touch later in the year and I’ll tell you how I have found it..

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Paul White
      Keymaster
      • City: Sydney
      • Weta Sail Number: 1300
      Up
      Down

I think in Alistair’s situation the furling jib makes sense.

However, the fully battened jib will always be a faster sail because it provides a better shape.

Tom Kirkman
      Participant
      Up
      Down

It’s easy to install. The standard forestay is replaced with the new stay which the jib is “permanently” attached to. So once you get the adjustment right the process for setting up the boat becomes a little bit quicker. The forestay and jib go up together.

There is a slight adjustment process you’ll go through the first couple times. You want the lower forestay attached pretty low to the bow deck strop. The instructions will give you the distance but I think it’s about 50mm. So to get that right you adjust the strop at the top of the forestay either shorter or longer. It might take you a couple times to get it the proper length. After that it may stretch a little and need to be further adjusted, but after that final adjustment you’re not likely to have to bother with it again.

For my money this is the best thing I’ve added to my Weta.

alistairking
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I thought I had just replied to this thread, but it hasn’t appeared so I’ll try again- Pete, Glenn told me $900 plus postage incl harware. I think they are only dacron white.

alistairking
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Sorry, just rechecked my email. Was $900 +postage. Probably close enough to $950 anyway

alistairking
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hey Pete I asked Glenn this very question last week. He told me $950 (from memory). Including all hardware. I believe they are white dacron. As soon as I can get it through the treasurer I will order one. Will give me more confidence to take kids out on borderline days and food for passage races (like marathon o n Sunday if wind blows up).

Up
      Down

Hi Guy’s, Tom was the furling jib easy to install? And doe’s anyone no how much they currently are and what colours can you get, that is if you have a choice? As it is on my wish list. Cheers Pete

alistairking
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Thanks for the advice Tom. Much appreciated.

Tom Kirkman
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I bought one and prefer it over the standard. I was told it was cut smaller, but laying one out on top of the other I can find no difference.

Being able to furl it  allows you to depower and might make beaching easier for you.  You can also adjust how much you have out, if you still need just a little to help to turn the boat in tight docking situations.

I like mine a lot and no longer bother using the standard jib. The furling unit is the way to go, in my opinion.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.