Home Forums General Weta Stuff Maiden Voyage

• Creator
    Topic
    wetaz904
    Participant

Hello Weta-ers!

Managed to survive my maiden voyage around the cans today in Canberra. Not a great day for sailing, 0-1 knot drifter. Only managed one lap of the cans as the race committee wisely shortened course.

Did all the noob Weta tricks – like, only realising I threaded the main halyard the wrong way after setting everything else up. Mast down practice! And putting the self-furling gennaker lines to the right of the mast rather than the left. No big deal, but I presume the cleat on the left is for cleating the gennaker furling line. Other than that I think I got the setup reasonably okay, although I think I need to apply more tension to the gennaker halyard. Could not get the hook for the mainsheet through the clew board, used a shackle instead.

In the ultra light conditions the arm that holds the rudder down kept popping out. I presume this is because of the lack of pressure.

On the road trailer front I picked up an old flatbed motorcycle trailer. Has good tie-down points and is very solid (too solid for a Weta really). Still experimenting with the load setup, trying to move the Weta as far forward as possible to get some weight on the towball. More fiddling in this area.

Rumour control here is that there is a Weta in the boatpark, although I have not seen it. Has not registered for racing so perhaps it is a recreational sailor only. The boat generated a fair bit of interest. One guy was very keen so would not be surprised if the local fleet was to grow reasonably soon. From now until Christmas is traditionally the “windy” part of the sailing season in these parts. With a little luck I’ll get the Weta up and going and see if it generates more interest from there.

As mentioned elsewhere, if I can get some time on the boat and get the trailer aspect organised I’ll try and make the JB regatta.

Regards,
    Leigh
    #904 Wetaz

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      wetaz904
      Participant
      wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

Aye, the seas were mighty and the wind was puffy, but for all that a good day on Lake Burley-Griffen. The wind range was 15-20kts with lulls much lower than that. Typical inland lake conditions at this time of year. It is not so much the actual wind strength but the rapid change in velocity. First lesson, make sure main can be uncleated when sitting on ama! The gust onslaught demands a quick response so not being able to uncleat the main was a real concern.

Unfortunately the lower tie on my gennaker came loose, so I could not furl, and had to retire.

At least I clocked up another hour or so on the boat. With a little luck I won’t be a complete numpty on the boat by the JB regatta!

wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Another drifter today in Canberra. Plenty of interest in the Weta. If we can get a couple of Sundays with good sailing weather it should heighten interest further (presuming I don’t make a meal of it!). Prior to the start of the race there was a 2-3 knot breeze, so I went out early and I know a lot of punters commented on the boat. When I went out I felt like the whole club was watching!

I sail most of the club’s events so hopefully activity will encourage others to have a punt.

Time will tell.

WETA NSW
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hi leigh the leeward shrowd gets pretty loose on my boat aswell it seems to be the design , i hall my genny halyard up as tight as i can makes it easy to get in and out ,

Gee i like the look of the white sails i wish id gotten them now , any interest from your fellow Canberrans today about the WETA ?

wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

PS How loose should the leeward shroud be in 10-12 knots?

wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Maiden Voyage with wind!
      As you can see, the gennaker is too loose. Obviously still trying to figure out how much tension to apply.
      Lake Burley Griffen, ACT

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by wetaz904. Reason: use img button on menu bar
      WETA NSW
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hi leigh dont have to be a noob to make those mistakes i still get it wrong now an then , Interesting that theres supposedly another WETA up there ? i have no info about that one , yes will be good when you get a breeze and the Weta gets going she will get some interest for sure,
      I f you need help wiith enquiries or questions just drop me an email Leigh

Regards Glenn

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.