Home Forums General Weta Stuff Small Main Sail Question

• Creator
    Topic
    Tom Kirkman
    Participant

Just curious if anyone has ever flipped their Weta when using the smaller storm mainsail? I have someone wanting to try my boat, singlehanded, but they’re a bit leery since our winds are up now. I thought perhaps the small mainsail might ensure they don’t go over in 45F water, but haven’t used it enough myself to be able to tell them that they aren’t likely to capsize or pitchpole with it. We’d be talking winds up to about 20MPH and gusts to 30MPH.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Paul White
      Keymaster
      • City: Sydney
      • Weta Sail Number: 1300
      Up
      Down
      ::

If they’re over 180lbs 20-30 mph is 17-25 knots which should be easy with the big sail if they have dinghy experience IMHO.

If they’ve not had dinghy experience, or experience with a dinghy that requires hiking, then before they go out, show them the hiking position using the toe-straps sitting on the outer edge of the tramp as well as sitting on the ama with the harness.

I’d also suggest you go out with them the first time and while you steer sitting on the edge of the hull (you don’t get so wet there!) while they hike out from the edge of the tramp using the toe-straps (or sitting on the ama) with the mainsheet in their hand and then swap over so they get used to both positions, before going out alone.

Upwind, the key is to use your weight to balance the heel by hiking out first and then if the leward ama still starts to bury, ease the main and/or feather up. Conversely, on a reach (especially with the kite up) you need to bear away and ease the kite if the leward hull buries which seems counter-intuitive but it reduces the heel and pressure on the sails.

Paul

• This reply was modified 9 years, 12 months ago by Paul White.
      Tom Kirkman
      Participant
      Up
      Down

The reason I ask is because guys that haven’t been sailing too long don’t always think to uncleat, or even release, the mainsheet. Sort of a panic thing. I wondered if maybe the smaller main might be bulletproof as long as the winds weren’t completely insane.

wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I would think he would be pretty safe with the smaller main. If you want to be really cautious, just tell him not to cleat the main, so if he ever feels over-powered he can ease the sheet quickly. The only way you could tip it over is if the main is cleated and a really big gust hits, with no commensurate sheet ease.

WETA NSW
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I think it would depend on the experience and ability of the guy , if he has sailing exp he should realise not to push it to the max when test sailing .

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.