Home Forums Australian Racing & Events Sunday's, race training for everyone interested in having fun on Pittwater Syd.

• Creator
    Topic

Hi everyone, A couple of Weta guy’s are sailing on Pittwater most Sunday’s. We are doing short races, practicing race starts and sharing different skills we have learnt. Everyone is welcome to bring their Weta’s and join in the fun. We normally beach launch from Bayview Park which is very easy and set up from 9.30 am. So if you have just brought a Weta or have been sailing for years come on down and have some fun. For more info email Peter Du Ross at peterduross@bigpond.com or phone Peter on 0418473868

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Paul White
      Keymaster
      • City: Sydney
      • Weta Sail Number: 1300
      Up
      Down
      ::

If the wind forecast stays like this, I think we’d better have a short race on Sunday morning.

Paul White
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down

http://res3.seabreeze.com.au/images/forecast/2/syd1/rgg.png?uid=20140412090029

Paul White
      Keymaster
      Up
      Down

The forecast this weekend looks really windy and wet so it’s doubtful that anyone will go out on Sunday.

Here’s hoping for better weather the following weekend.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/nsw.asp

• This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by Paul White.
      Up
      Down

Sunday 6/4/14 Hi guy’s, although 3 Weta’s turned up to sail today (Geoff C, Geoff W and myself) the heavy rain got the better of us. Still we had time to share some idea’s and do some planning for the Easter race day. You can check the info on the Easter race day post for that. So hopefully next Sunday will be a bit dryer than it was today. All are welcome next Sunday and for more info give us a call or email me, see the above post for my details. Cheers Pete

Up
      Down

Hi guy’s, last weekend was our first race training day on Pittwater 30/3/14. Although only Geoff Clift and myself (Peter Du Ross)turned up, and with just two Weta’s we still had a great day of match race sailing. We had two races around Scotland Island and a few practice starts with count downs. Best of all Geoff showed me how easy it was to put the Weta into a “Hove-to” position. For those who are not accustom to the meaning of “Hove-to” it is a boat that has completed the process of “heaving-to”, with it’s jib aback (Back winded), it’s main sail loosely trimmed, and it’s rudder securely positioned to steer close to the wind. In plain English we parked the two Weta’s in the middle of Pittwater, full sails up and not flapping madly away in the 8 – 10 knot breeze, just gently drifting to Leeward whilst we had lunch. Geoff was better prepared than I was as he had a gourmet luncheon with him, and I swear I saw a small bottle of wine on his foredeck, which he will profusely deny. Myself, I just had a couple of nut bars and water. “Hove-to” is also a great manoeuver for racing as well, which can be used whilst waiting for race starts and obviously in between races instead of dropping sails or landing on the beach or even doing running adjustments in between. We also found a jetty off Taylors point which will make a great start line for future races as you can use the flag poles on the jetty to line up together to form a start line for races starting both north and south. By the way the winner’s of the races were the two sailor’s who had the biggest grin’s on their faces after a fantastic day out. Hope to see more Weta’s out this Sunday 6/4/14 for more info on Pittwater racing and training give me a call on 0418473868 or at peterduross@bigpond.com Cheers Pete

WETA NSW
      Participant
      Up
      Down

This sounds like a fantastic idea Peter everyone sharing their skills and the boys all get to know each other , some friendly racing and skill development i hope the sydney guys jump on board great initiative Pete

Glenn

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.